With the end of the school year approaching, it’s always important to remind ourselves that our students are resilient (even more so with the right support). While it’s been a very different year, our students have risen to the occasion. Even so, many students (and teachers) may be ready for the school year to be over. So to make the most of Term Four, here are some of our favourite tips for maximising student engagement.
Honour the Past
- Remind students of what they have achieved so far this year, what they have learnt and how much they have grown
- Create self-reflection tasks to allow them opportunities to track their growth
- Celebrate their achievements and highlight their successes (not just academic)
- Discuss the new skills they’ve gained this year and create chances for them to practice them in Term Four
- Don’t disregard any anxieties and fears about Term Four. It is important to acknowledge these feelings.
Celebrate the Present
- Encourage them to embrace the opportunity and excitement of learning for Term Four
- Create a sense of normalcy for students, similar routines that they learnt earlier in the year
- Set learning goals for students and for yourself. What do we want to achieve in Term Four?
Embrace the Future
- Encourage a growth mindset by emphasising that there are new challenges coming in their educational journey but they have the skills to embrace those challenges.
- Remote learning has provided many new and innovative ways of teaching. Don’t forget these, especially if your students found them engaging and exciting. Think about how to incorporate these into your Term Four class plans.
- Ask students to create a “vision board” for 2021 to help them focus on the possibilities of next year.
Everyone has the potential to become an encourager. You don’t have to be rich. You don’t have to be a genius. You don’t have to have it all together. All you have to do is care about people and initiate.
John C. Maxwell
Term Four is also a great time to gather meaningful feedback from your students. Try our Student Perception Survey on Teaching and Learning for up to 6 teachers for FREE this Term. Our student feedback survey will give you great insights that align with the AITSL teaching standards. For more information go to www.pivotpl.com/free-trial or contact us at email@example.com.